Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A questionable thumb.

I've never really had much confidence in my gardening abilities.  I remember when I was young, my sweet Mom would buy me sweet little plants to adorn my bedroom.  Nothing wild, nothing needy and nothing large.  It was always a sweet little African Violet, a Succulent or a Flowering Cactus.  And EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. they would wither away and end up in the trash.

Fast forward many years and if I would ever be so lucky to get a bunch of flowers from a BOY.  Because what girl doesn't love to get flowers from a boy?  Well, they'd die too.  It wasn't for lack of knowledge, because I always follow the instructions exactly as they read.  I'd use warm water, pour in the flower feed, wait until it dissolved, trim up those stems in an angle because that would surely keep them alive.  NOPE.  I'm lucky to get a few days.  Sometimes they don't even bloom.  It's really a sad series of events.
What in the world?  I was starting to think I was just born with a black thumb.  Poor me, didn't inherit my Mom's amazing green thumb.

Well, fast forward about ten more years and I was inspired.  Inspired perhaps not only by the self satisfaction of growing my own plants from seeds, but also by being able to cook with them!  I LOVE fresh herbs, but they are expensive and shame, shame, shame, they usually need to be thrown out before we can finish them.  I was excited, REALLY excited.  But also nervous that there was no way on earth I could grow anything.  So, I didn't tell anyone.  My little secret, so as not to reconfirm to the world my inability to care for another living being.  If my black thumb emerged again, it would be my little secret.  

One week ago tonight, I planted my own Herb Garden. From SEEDS people.  And you'll never believe it, but we have actual plants growing over here!  Oregano, Cilantro, Thyme, Basil and Rosemary!  Nevermind that the Mint and Parsley haven't shown signs of a single sprout. These amazing herbs are ALL growing in my kitchen.  Now, I know this may be early because these little guys still have a long way to go before I have a real live working edible herb garden, but the sprouts have appeared and for that... 

HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL.

Blog Signature 2

No comments: